What To Do if Your Personal or Financial Information has been Stolen?

If you suspect that your personal information has been misused to commit fraud or theft, act immediately, and keep a detailed record of your conversations and correspondence.

Your first three steps should be:

First, contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus:

  • Equifax: www.equifax.com To order your report, call: 1-800-685-1111
    Or write: P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
    To report fraud, call: 1-800-525-6285
    And write: P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
  • Experian: www.experian.com
    To order your report, call: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)
    Or write: P.O. Box 2104, Allen TX 75013
    To report fraud, call: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)
    And write: P.O. Box 9532, Allen TX 75013
  • TransUnion: www.transunion.com
    To order your report, call: 800-916-8800
    Or write: P.O. Box 1000, Chester, PA 19022.
    To report fraud, call: 1-800-680-7289
    And write: Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

Second, close the accounts that you know or believe have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

Third, file a police report with your local police or the police in the community where the theft took place. In the modern age of cell phones, wireless technology and the internet has made banking increasingly convenient and efficient, but it has come at a cost: financial security. As banks and Internet companies diligently develop strategies to make transactions secure; identity thieves have evolved new and creative ways to steal your financial information. Financial institutions, legitimate Internet companies and law enforcement are doing what they can with the resources they have, but it falls on each individual to do their part to protect themselves from identity theft.

This article is made available by Lee & Lee, PS for educational purposes only. The intent is to give the reader general information and a general understanding of the law. The article does not provide specific legal advice. Readers of this article should understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the writers. Furthermore, the article is not a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your jurisdiction.